I am working on tying up the loose ends on my Kieft family research in order to put a book together. In doing so, I have found some new information that was not available when I first started looking in to this family. I decided to share the new family connections that I’ve found.
Photo Left: Ilfracombe, Devon, England
The first new family that I found is that of Joanna Crocombe Kift. I had not been able to find a marriage for her when I was first doing my research. This time I found her marriage, children and grandchildren. Below is the register style report for Joanna’s family. It will be included in the book, however I am not going to update the Kieft page on this site. If you are related to these individuals, please feel free to contact me for more information.
The family of Joanna Crocombe Kift and Richard German:
1. Joanna Crocombe (Kift) Kieft, b. 1846 in Lynton, Devon, England,,,,,,, (daughter of Thomas (Kift) Kieft [1814 – 1889] and Maria Crocombe [1822 – 1897]), baptized 1 Jan 1846 in Lynton, Devon, England, d. 1913 in Barnstaple, Devon, England. In 1861, Joanna was age 14, servant in the home of Geroge Crocombe in Brendon, Devon. He could be a relative of her mother.
In 1881 Joanna and family lived in Berrynarbor.
In 1911, Joanna was widowed and back in Lynton, Devon, living with her brother, John Kift. Joanna is listed as having given birth to four children. Joanna’s granddaughter, Laura Doris White, age 4, lived with them.
She was married in 1874 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, to Richard German, b. c. 1847 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England, d. 1909 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, occupation Shoe maker, Letter Carrier. Richard: In 1871, Richard lived with his widowed mother, Elizabeth, and brother Edward in Ilfracombe.
In 1881 and 1891, Richard, Joanna and children lived in Berrynarbor. Richard was a “letter carrier”, rural postman
In 1901 they lived in Ilfracombe. Richard was a “Postman”.
2. i. Annie Rosina German b. Oct 1874.
3. ii. Lily Mary German b. Jan 1879.
4. iii. Bertie Thomas “Tom” German b. Apr 1885.
5. iv. Olive M. German b. c. 1893.
2. Annie Rosina German (Joanna1), b. Oct 1874 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England,2,3,, d. Dec 1935 in Barnstaple, Devon, England.8 In 1891 Annie, age 16, lived with her parents. She was not with the family in 1901.
There was a “Rose” German, age 26, working as a servant in Ilfracombe. Could be her.
She was married on Oct 1904 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, to Alfred Eales White, b. c. 1874 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England,11 d. Mar 1944 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, resided in Ilfracombe, Devon, England,11 occupation Butcher’s Assistant.11 Alfred: In 1911, Alfred and Annie and son, Gordon, lived in Ilfracombe. Daughter Laura was living in Lynton with Annie’s mother.
6. i. Laura Doris3 White b. c. 1907.
7. ii. Gordon Poole White b. Apr 1909.
3. Lily Mary German (Joanna1), b. Jan 1879 in Berrynarbor, Devon, England, d. Mar 1962 in Tiverton, Devon, England,8 occupation Dressmaker, resided in Ilfracombe, Devon, England.4 In 1901 Lily was age 21, single and living with parents in Ilfracombe.
In 1911, Lily and William lived in Ilfracombe. Lily’s sister, Olive, was living with them.
Lily was listed as having given birth to one child, Kathleen.
She was married on Apr 1904 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, to William James Bradbeer, b. 1879 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England, d. Mar 1954 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, occupation Gardener. William: In 1881 William’s mother is listed as Fanny. In later years it is “Jane”. Jane could be a step mother.
1901 William, 22, was single and living with parents, Robert and Jane Bradbeer, in Ilfracombe. William and father were both working as gardeners.
8. i. Kathleen3 Bradbeer b. c. 1906.
4. Bertie Thomas “Tom” German (Joanna1), b. Apr 1885 in Berrynarbor, Devon, England, occupation Blacksmith, resided in Ilfracombe, Devon, England.11 Birth, marriage and death registrations list name as “Bertie Thomas”
In 1891 he was listed as “Bertie T.”
In 1901 he was listed as Thomas.
In 1911 “Tom” and wife lived in Ilfracombe.
He was married in 1911 in Barnstaple, Devon, England,11,9 to Elizabeth Scott, b. Apr 1891 in Combe Martin, Devon, England., Elizabeth: In 1901 Elizabeth, age 10, lived with parents John and Mary Scott in Coombe Martin.
9. i. Ivor Scott3 German b. 22 Mar 1911.
5. Olive M. German (Joanna1), b. c. 1893 in Berrynarbor, Devon, England, d. Mar 1965 in Barnstaple, Devon, England. In 1911 Olive was living with sister, Lily, and her family in Ilfracombe.
She was married on Oct 1915 in Barnstaple, Devon, England, to Alfred G. Manley, b. 2 Aug 1892, d. Jun 1975 in Barnstaple, Devon, England.
6. Laura Doris White (Annie2, Joanna1), b. c. 1907 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England. In 1911, Laura lived in Lynton with her maternal grandmother, Joanna Kift German, and Joanna’s brother, John Kift.
7. Gordon Poole White (Annie2, Joanna1), b. Apr 1909 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England.
8. Kathleen Bradbeer (Lily2, Joanna1), b. c. 1906.11 Birthplace is blurry on census, but was probably Ilfracombe.
9. Ivor Scott German (Bertie2, Joanna1), b. 22 Mar 1911 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England, d. Jun 1981 in Exeter, Devon, England. At time of 1911 Census, Ivor was less than one month old.
He was married on Dec 1961 in Exeter, Devon, England,9 to Florence V. Hitchcock.